Wemyss Bay Station Tower
The station and pier are perhaps the most famous landmarks in Wemyss Bay and their history stretches back to the 19th Century. The Wemyss Bay line was opened in 1865 after a group of labourers, mainly Irish, worked to take the line through the hills to Wemyss Bay.
The original station was a square, rather ugly building and the pier was also fairly basic and visually unexciting. In June 1903, the new "double" line was opened followed by the new railway station and much improved pier to serve the ever increasing Clyde Steamer traffic. The new complex became one of the showpieces of Scottish railways. It was dominated by the impressive sixty-foot Clock Tower, and was built in Queen Anne style, half-timbered and roughcast with sandstone facing. The large, circular glass-roofed interior became renowned for its outstanding displays of potted plants and hanging baskets.
Image dimensions: 3900 x 5850 pixels