Hawkcraig Point in Scotland is a naval establishment which was named HMS Tarlair and was used for hydrophone research and training during the First World War. The base had originally been set up at Granton, but in June 1915 buildings were constructed on Hawkcraig Point near Aberdour. The site was well chosen as there was a deep water channel protected by an anti-submarine boom immediately to the S. By the end of the war the establishment numbered almost 800 personnel. Nearly 4,000 officers and men were trained at what was the Navy's main hydrophone research and training base. The base was closed during 1918.
Image dimensions: 6000 x 4000 pixels