Tolbooth of Clackmannan
Tolbooth of Clackmannan - 1592
The name of the town refers to the Stone of Mannan, a pre-Christian monument which can be seen in the town square, beside the Tollbooth Tower, which dates from the 16th century. During the 12th century, the area formed part of the lands controlled by the abbots of Cambuskenneth. Later it became associated with the Bruce family. During the 14th century they built a strategic tower-house, which survives to this day above the town.
Image dimensions: 3264 x 4896 pixels